Changing Color Range doesn't affect source player

What is your operating system?
Windows 10 20H2

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
21.05.01 x64
21.05.18 x64

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
New (empty) project. Drag / drop a clip into SC. If the color range is wrong, set the clip’s color range to Full. Source player is not updating (i.e. the material is outside the 16-234 range, even though you’ve forced otherwise).

If you drop the clip onto the timeline, it shows correctly in the project player.

But flip back to the source player, and it’s still wrong.

Project seems to export with the right color range. I round-tripped an export back in to SC.

This might not be a bug. Shotcut does not convert colorspaces unless it has a reason to make a conversion. When you open a clip in the source player, there is no reason to make a conversion. You can test this by adding a Color Grading filter to the source player clip. The color grading filter operates in RGB so a conversion will occur. Do the values get clipped after you apply the filter?

A colorspace conversion will need to occur when you place it in the timeline because the timeline operates in 4:2:2. So the values would get clipped in this case.

For this report, can you be more explicit about your source clip and what is expected?

• How are the values encoded in the file (full range, limited range, or limited range with out of bounds values)?
  • How is the colorspace signaled in the file (full or limited)?
  • What are you expecting to happen to the values (scaled from full to limited range, clip out of bounds values, or scaled from limited to full)?

It is a bug. It used to do this and as of v21.05.01 it does not. You should notice I tagged this bug report as accepted because I reproduced it. It should be making a conversion because the player does not use full range, and the range is not converting correctly.

Thanks @shotcut.

@brian, the source player reacts to changes in the clip’s aspect ratio. So why not the clip’s color range? At least Dan confirmed it.

Yes. It must be a bug.

Thank you for your report. This is fixed for the next build.