Change Volume of Audio Track - Gradually

Let’s say I have a 10 second video. I need to reduce the volume of the audio track from the 4th second to the 8th second, but gradually. If If I use the split and apply filter method, the volume will change, but instantaneously. That’s not what I want. I want the transition to be over a second or so.

Can someone please help me out here?

Thanks in advance.

I thought I understood and it seemed like you want the audio to fade from the 4th to the 8th second, so that would be a gradual fade over 4 seconds.

Two options I can think of.

1. Split the track where you want the audio to begin fading, then apply an audio fade filter and set the length or drag accordingly:

But maybe that’s where you’re having some problems and it isn’t accurate enough for your requirements, in which case, for more control:
2. Again split the track where you want the fade to start, then “detach audio”. That copies the audio to its own track so you can use the Gain/Volume filter and apply keyframes to that:

I think the last one should solve your problem.

2 Likes

There is no need to split the clip. Apply the Gain/Volume filter to the clip or track. Then, use keyframes to adjust the volume to the sections you want.

2 Likes

Quite right! And in this case probably best not to, since it is just audio control. I don’t think the video I posted used split either.

1 Like

Thank you both. Yes, keyframes is the way to go. I’ve got the idea now.

Have a nice day.

While on autopilot I often split video when it is strictly unnecessary, in order to apply certain filters to a specific section (glitch with a slide out to the right on text, for example). In my earlier learning days I found undoing mistakes when working with keyframes and multiple filters, changing the speed or length of effects etc, that it was easier to isolate that segment. Generally there is no harm no foul, but this is something I need to be more aware of!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.