Can't open ANY type of video files on Windows

Hi guys,
I’ve just installed shotcut 20.11.28 on Windows 10:

CPU: intel i5-7200U - integrated graphics
RAM: 16gb

but it can’t open any kind of video files

[Debug  ] <AudioLoudnessScopeWidget::resetQview> begin 
[Debug  ] <MainWindow::openVideo> QFlags<QFileDialog::Option>() 
[Debug  ] <LeapNetworkListener::onDisconnected> Disconnected from Leap Motion 
[Debug  ] <LeapNetworkListener::onError> Leap Motion WebSocket error: "Connessione rifiutata" 
[Debug  ] <MainWindow::open> "C:/Users/loren/Videos/2020-12-28-230913.mp4" 
[Debug  ] <MltXmlChecker::check> begin 
[Debug  ] <MltXmlChecker::check> end 
[Info   ] <MainWindow::showStatusMessage> "Impossibile aprireC:/Users/loren/Videos/2020-12-28-230913.mp4" 

showStatusMessage says ‘can’t openC:/…’
LeapNetworkListener::onError says: connection refused

While photos DO open in fact, they are completely broken and show a green tint.
I noticed the exact same problem with KDEnlive 20.12 which i believe is using the same engine. However, KDEnlive 20.08 does NOT show any kind of problems and opens just fine

Am I alone?

Thanks

1 Like

Hello:
What is the configuration of Shotcut?
what is the display method used?
You can see it in Preferences-display method.
have you used other versions of Shotcut before or is this the first time with Shotcut?
Meanwhile, here is some information about the minimum requirements for running Shotcut in various scenarios.
what is the display method used? You can see it in the Preferences - display method.
have you used other versions of Shotcut before or is this the first time with Shotcut?
Meanwhile, here is some information about the minimum requirements for running Shotcut in various scenarios.)

Very first installation, no previous installation configuration, Display method set to Auto

Where Can I download older versions of shortcut? just for testing purposes

Here you can find the old versions.

That is not a problem. Sorry, but I do not know what is wrong. Something on your system seems to be conflicting, but there are thousands of variables. You can provide a full log after trying to open a video file as well as some info about that file from another program such as MediaInfo or VLC, etc.

If only there was a way to collect more logs, I would try to debug the issue myself and post more info’s. What seems strange to me is that the latest version of kdenlive throws the same error but some old release don’t, thus I believe there should be some incompatibility problems with some shared libraries.

The log above was taken from the log file right after tryin to open an mp4 file that plays just fine on VLC

It sounds like some other program is interfering with Shotcut.
Have you tried restarting your computer?
After restarting, if you do restart, before opening up any other program, attempt to open files with Shotcut. Also look at deactivating anti-virus programs.

Also be sure you got Shotcut from here, and not some other website.

In the AppData directory is where you can find the shotcut-log.txt file. You can upload txt files in the reply window.

I’ve installed an older version ( [v20.07.11] ) and it is working just fine. I will dig a bit deeper and try to collect some extra logs

Related but would need to see the full log to know:

This happened after after FFmpeg upgrade after v20.07.11, but it was fixed for some in versions 20.10 and 20.11 by downgrading it back to what was in v20.07.11
The full log is at View > Application Log… no need to go hunting for files unless you want to get the log after a crash because it resets when the app starts.

I have the exact same problem this guy was reporting: .mp4 fail and broken images, just like the screenshots

Hello.
For me, it was fixed by the version 20.10.
Thanks Dan Dennedy.

I will investigate a bit more later and let you know

I downloaded ShortCut portable version to make sure nothing on the system was conflicting. I got the same error that the OP had
shotcut-log.txt (32.5 KB)

[Warning] <MLT> mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen C:\Users\loren\Downloads\shotcut-win64-201128\Shotcut\lib\mlt/libmltavformat.dll  ("C:\Users\loren\Downloads\shotcut-win64-201128\Shotcut\lib\mlt\libmltavformat.dll": Impossibile trovare la procedura specificata.)
[Info   ] <MLT> plugin_mgr_get_object_file_plugins: error opening shared object file 'C:\Users\loren\Downloads\shotcut-win64-201128\Shotcut\lib\ladspa/AUTHORS': "C:\Users\loren\Downloads\shotcut-win64-201128\Shotcut\lib\ladspa\AUTHORS": Impossibile trovare il modulo specificato.
[Info   ] <MLT> plugin_mgr_get_object_file_plugins: error opening shared object file 'C:\Users\loren\Downloads\shotcut-win64-201128\Shotcut\lib\ladspa/COPYING': "C:\Users\loren\Downloads\shotcut-win64-201128\Shotcut\lib\ladspa\COPYING": Impossibile trovare il modulo specificato.
[Info   ] <MLT> plugin_mgr_get_object_file_plugins: error opening shared object file 
 'C:\Users\loren\Downloads\shotcut-win64-201128\Shotcut\lib\ladspa/readme.txt': 
 "C:\Users\loren\Downloads\shotcut-win64-201128\Shotcut\lib\ladspa\readme.txt": 
[Info   ] <Mlt::Controller::resetLocale> decimal point .

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.