Better operating system than 64 bit?

I want to ask one general question here, We have seen 32 bit and 64 bit Operating System.
Is there any other larger size bit Operating System exist? If yes can you please share the link to download it.? i want the best speed operating system.
Thanks

Is there a reason you would ask this question in a video editor forum?
Dedicated forums are probably better in answering your question.
One thing I wanted to add: If you want to use an OS with another bit size, you would also need software which supports that. And I never encountered software which provides anything else than 32 and 64 bit packages/installers.

64-bit operating systems are not necessarily faster than 32-bit ones, in some respects they can be slower. The main reason for going to 64-bit was addressable (physical) memory, which was limited to 4 Gb max with 32 bits. With 64-bit addressing it’s basically unlimited (18 exabytes), so no, there are no (general purpose) operating systems designed for more than 64-bit addressing. As an aside the first powerful computer I worked on was the CDC 7600 which had only 18-bit address registers.

2 Likes

For applications, this is limited to 3 GB except on Windows where the limit is 2 GB unless the app is explicitly compiled to support 3, which Shotcut is.

This is correct, both 32-bit and 64-bit applications are limited to a total of 3GB for Static data/code and Stack data, however Dynamic data can be up to 8TB for 64-bit apps, while for 32-bit it is limited to 2GB. So C or C++ using malloc or new, or Fortran programs using ALLOCATE or malloc, can be huge.

(source: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/memory-limits-applications-windows/)

Also, the amount of memory supported by different versions of Windows (e.g. Home vs Professional vs Enterprise) differs according to Microsoft’s commercial reasoning.

32-bit

• Static data - 2GB
  • Dynamic data - 2GB
  • Stack data - 1GB (the stack size is set by the linker, the default is 1MB. This can be increased using the Linker property System > Stack Reserve Size)

The sum of all types of data must be 2GB or less.

64-bit

• Static data - 2GB
  • Dynamic data - 8TB
  • Stack data - 1GB (the stack size is set by the linker, the default is 1MB. This can be increased using the Linker property System > Stack Reserve Size)

The limit on static and stack data is the same in both 32-bit and 64-bit variants. This is due to the format of the Windows Portable Executable (PE) file type, which is used to describe EXEs and DLLs as laid out by the linker. It has 32-bit fields for image section offsets and lengths and was not extended for 64-bit Windows.

Sorry for this being Windows-focussed, but the different variety of Linux have different limits on applications too (c.f. https://access.redhat.com/articles/rhel-limits#maximum-memory-2).

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.