Batch convert 4K to 1080 so it will play on my computer

Hi,
I have a new Samsun Galaxy Ultra 21 cell phone which takes large 4 or 8K video. Eyesight not as when younger I could not see I somehow started recording in 4K 3840 x 2160 30fps. I did this for 2 weeks and have 50 videos to fix.
I watched video how to change settings in Windows media player, then I switched to VLC media player & changed output to automatic, input /codes yadda yadda what they suggested I did and it did not work.

I don’t even know if shotcut is the best way to do this but it has been working one at a time by changing the resolution to the 1920 x 1080, with either 30 or 60 fps, H.264 Main profile Quality to 80%.

Can you tell I have no idea what I’m doing. Actually the 4K won’t even PLAY in shotcut so I could edit a video etc. Most of these I don’t want to make a Movie or do edits on I just want to play the video’s which are mostly of my dog. haha Can anybody help?

There are other tools like Handbrake that are specialized for this task. However, Shotcut can do this task just as well. Here’s a thread of someone else in your exact situation along with a solution:

In your case, leave the width and height specified in the export preset so that all clips get forced to 1080. It might be necessary to separate landscape and portrait videos, and process them separately as 1920x1080 versus 1080x1920.

Austin, Thank you for your answer. I’m going to check it out tonight or tomorrow. :slight_smile:
Do you have any idea why we can’t play them? What does a computer need in order to play a 4K video. I have a brand new monitor but my computer is older. I have PLENTY of memory.
Would it be a graphic card?

Austin, I did your suggestion and it did not work. These are options I chose .

VIDOE TAB: kept size 3840 x 2160, H.264 High profile, codec libx264, Quality -based VBR, Quality 70%, GOP 1, B frames 0, Code Threads check mark in fixed box.

AUDIO TAB: 2 stereo, 48000, ac3, Average Bitrate, 512 b/z

results: It no longer looks like a smeared watercolor painting but video does not “move /play” like a video it jumps to basically still shots and not even in a steady timing. It jumps every 1 second , 3 seconds.
I’ve played it several times in a row to see if once it loads it gets smoother .

Does this have something to do with choosing GOP 1?
Any more suggestions? Again I left the 4K size and you said it would force it to change but actually the details don’t show a different size.
The sound plays just fine and again I can now see the video no more kaleidoscope/watercolor smeared images which were actually quite beautiful.
I hope you can help. thanks for answering me. Mary

Sorry to create confusion. I meant leave in the width and height parameters if creating a preset, but set them to 1920x1080 or 1080x1920 depending on whether the videos were portrait or landscape. Most likely, your computer is struggling to play 4K and that’s why it stutters for 1-3 seconds.

Hi Austin, Thanks!
I gave that a a try and yes it’s better and playable. A bit sluggish for the first 15 seconds but then seems to settle out. I’m not moving the camera around in the video (basically only moving it a few feet). I’m going to find out how an active shot converts. I recorded a lot of videos for myself of my dogs and also some to post of youtube. Thanks for your reply. This is all pretty new to me as you can tell. Thank goodness for people like you. Thanks for your time and help. Mary

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.