Adding at least 2 variable framerate clips from playlist to timeline crashes shotcut

What is your operating system?
Windows 10 21H1

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
Happens in both 21.05.18 and 21.08.11

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?

1. start a new project and add at least 2 clips to the playlist that are variable frame rate
  2. select both and drag&drop them to the timeline
  3. crash

I think this is related to the popup asking to convert to edit friendly the file because if I add them one at a time to the timeline it just shows the popup message, I click cancel and then the crash doesn’t happen even if after this I select them both and do the steps as above (I assume the No choice gets remembered and this stops the request to show the popup again).

Had 100% reproductibility before clicking “Don’t show this popup anymore”, now it doesn’t happen anymore at all but I also don’t get the popup if I add files one by one so I assume it was the popup’s fault being cancelled then shown again by the multiple-files dragging. I don’t know where I can reset that option to try again.

The video files are 4k30 hevc .mp4 shot on my phone, not sure if it matters.

Thanks for reporting this. It is fixed in 21.08.29

1 Like

I noticed this bug has resurfaced in versions 21.12.24 both on Ubuntu and Win10. The bug does not seem to be related to the core of the program but the dialog box that pops up “Convert to Edit Friendly…”
I found that if you are lucky to be quick enough to click the “Do not show anymore” box, and OK, then Cancel when it asks to save the file, ShotCut will no longer crash, and you can load a number of variable framerate videos without further crashes.

I have not reproduced it on Ubuntu Linux today with that version.