About upgrading

Should the new version be installed on the top of the previous version or should the previous version be uninstalled first?

The choice is yours.
I usually install the latest version to a separate folder just in case there are new bugs, then it’s easy just to go back to using the earlier version until the next version is released.

Just to add I upgraded without uninstalling and it worked fine. Jon

Just keep the previous distribution file handy. If the new rev. fails, there’s your backup.

Hello to all! This is my first post on the forum.
Well, about the upgrading. I had issues when I tried to install over previous version from 16.12 to 17.02 without checking the “erase old registry datas” because I wanted to keep old settings. The strange thing is that all worked (apparently) very well, but the menu voice “Display Method” disappeared (I don’t remember well, but it appeared with another name with other sub-menus names). So I made a clean uninstalling with Revo Uninstaller and reinstalled the new version: magically the menu voice reappared. I made same job for newer versions. When I installed the last version 17.11.07, I checked “erase old registry datas” and it worked well, menu voice too.
So I recommend to check the erase registry datas option during installation.
My hardware/software specifications: Windows 7 Ultimate 32bits, Pentium Core2 Duo 6600 (directly from the Jurassic). Shotcut 17.x.x Italian language.