A "Most Used" filter tab?

i know this might be just a me-thing, but i think it might be cool to have a “Most Used”
filters tab. i know this is kinda what the Favorites tab is for, but even that can be a bit crowded sometimes. so i think it might be cool to have a tab where you can quickly get to the “Size, position & Rotate”, since that one is the one you use the most.

this is just a suggestion, and it might be a bit difficult to program in (might), but i think it might be cool to have in.

2 Likes

A work around, only if you know what any of what I wrote bellow means.

You do this at your own risk, but I guess the biggest risk is having to re-install Shotcut if you mess things up.

I’m not sure, but that might also void the warranty.

• Go to: Program Files > Shotcut > share > shotcut > qml > filters > size_position

• Open the meta_affine.qml file with Notepad++

• Change line 7 from this:
    name: qsTr('Size, Position & Rotate')
    to this:
    name: '00 ' + qsTr('Size, Position & Rotate')

(I edited the line above to use Namna’s suggestion instead)

• Save the file. Notepad++ might ask you to re-open as administrator.

After that, the Size, Position & Rotate filter will show up on top of the lists of filters (Video list and Favorite list).

Do that to a few filters if you want. Give them different numbers to set the order they’ll show in the lists. 00 on top, followed by 01, 02 etc…

filters-order

I did this a couple of weeks ago to Size, Position & Rotate and Text: Simple and it didn’t cause any problem that I’m aware of.

2 Likes

Vous pouvez aussi mettre:
L’avantage de ne pas toucher au texte entre les parenthèses de qsTr c’est que l’on conserve la traduction

You can also put:
The advantage of not touching the text between the parentheses of qsTr is that you keep the translation

2 Likes

i mostly used “Size, position and Rotate” as an example for a thing to appear in the most used tab.

How about:

• In Video and Audio, filters are in alphabetic order, as now.
  • In Favorites, filters are ranked by your usage statistics.
1 Like

I understand. That’s why I told you that you can choose more than one to modify.
Putting them on top of the list is as quick as having another tab in my opinion.

That would be ideal I think

An algorithm to accomplish this:

Each filter in your Favorites has a statistic “S” (in the same hidden file where the Favorites list is kept for the user), a floating-point number.

When a new filter is added to the Favorites,

• S is set equal to 1

Each time you use a filter from the Favorites list,

• That filter has new S set to (1 + S)/2
  • All other Favorites filters have new S set to S*K

where K is a number less than 1, (probably 99/100)

Favorites are listed in S order, highest to lowest.

This way, no large list of usage statistics is needed.
The most-used filters keep trending towards the “first on the list” value of 1, while the unused filters trend towards 0.
The limiting value is the floating minimum, harmless, rather than the undesirable “it keeps getting bigger” which can lead to overflow.

If this algorithm proves to be too volatile, change the new S equation to (1+S(C-1))/C where C is a small integer constant.
(The first equation for S, above, is the case where C=2.)

Moi je n’aimerais pas.
Je préfère les classer et les regrouper comme je l’entends et toujours les retrouver à la même place.
Mais bon, chacun ses goûts.

I wouldn’t like it.
I prefer to classify and group them as I see fit and always find them in the same place.
But to each his own.

Votre formule pour classer les filtres est très impressionnante !

Your formula for classifying filters is very impressive

1 Like

Dynamic Favorites