50 MOV videos to MP4

Perhaps.

Thinking about this some more…

• Should we still use the source file name if the source has been trimmed?
  • If a file is sliced into three pieces, and then all three slices are exported from the playlist, we would end up with three files with the same name.
  • Should we still use the source file name if filters have been applied?
  • What if the source file is “go.mp4” and the exported file would be “go.mp4”? We can not write over the file while we are converting it.

Right. I covered that one in my reply to you. :slightly_smiling_face:

However, after your good questions I think it’s best to have the option be something like “Use Clip Name” which means the clip name that is set in Properties rather than specifically the source file name. When a clip hasn’t been renamed then the default is the source file name.

So if the user has changed the clip name in Properties of anything in the playlist, then it’ll just use that and avoid the issues you raised. But if there is more than once instance of the same clip name appearing for more than one clip (which could also be the default source file name) then something like a “_1” could be added at the end and it would just keep counting down (e.g. _2, _3, _4, etc…) for as many instances of that clip name being repeated in the playlist.

What do you think?

I think that using the clip name makes sense. But that would not be a common use for bulk operations.

I wonder if we would add some kind of common suffix like “_exported”. So “go.mp4” would be exported to “go_exported.mp4”. And then we could also add the numbering to avoid existing file names for the sliced scenario. However, in the sliced scenario I described, the first slice could get the name “go_exported.mp4” and the second slice would be “go_exported_1.mp4”. Still not very intuitive. Maybe for that case the user should take the time to set a clip name.

Would it be easy to do something like what OBS does with file name creations?
This way it would keep the original file name, but would be exported with date and time on the end of the file name.
obs64_2021-01-09_23-13-47

1 Like

I was writing a reply to you @brian but I like @Hudson555x’s suggestion so I’ll wait and see what you say about his post. :slightly_smiling_face:

J’avais fait une demande dans ce sens il y a quelques mois, mais elle n’avait pas déchainé autant de passion…

Dans le cas ou un fichier de même nom existerait dans le dossier de destination, l’ajout d’un indice numérique à la fin du nom me semble être une bonne solution. (e.g. _2, _3, _4, etc…)

I had made a request a few months ago, but it hadn’t unleashed as much passion…

In case a file with the same name exists in the destination folder, adding a numerical index at the end of the name seems to me to be a good solution (e.g. _2, _3, _4, etc…).

https://forum.shotcut.org/t/using-sc-to-create-proxies/17615

1 Like

I think it’s because your request was in the context of proxy creation and at that time we didn’t actually know how Dan would do proxies. After that Dan decided to use the custom hash codes that Shotcut creates as the way Shotcut identifies proxy files.

Although it’s interesting you bring this up because I was thinking for a while about suggesting an option to choose to use the hash codes for the file name in “Each Playlist Item” for anyone that wanted to use a very specific encoding for their proxy workflow that’s different than what Shotcut offers since you are able to use your own proxies if you want. I personally would never need such an option because I am very happy with how Dan set up the proxy workflow but since there is an option in Properties to copy the hash code of a file I was thinking that the next logical step would be to offer an option to use the hash code as the name of the files in “Each Playlist Item”.

Yeah, I think I am going to go back to suggesting my initial idea of using Shotcut’s existing numerical system (-01, -02, -03, etc…). I’ll come back later to respond to @brian’s last post.

Great discussion. Thanks I am following it and making a big pile of .MOV files to automatically convert if tehre is any testing to be done… :slight_smile:

Avez-vous essayé de changer simplement l’extension .mov en .mp4
Cela évite en plus un ré-encodage

Have you tried to simply change the .mov extension to .mp4?
This also avoids re-encoding.

A cause de ce problème de nom, j’utilise MPEGStreamclip qui possède aussi un traitement par lot et qui traite de nombreux formats.
Par contre, je crois qu’il n’existe que pour Mac

Because of this name problem, I use MPEGStreamclip which also has batch processing and handles many formats.
On the other hand, I think it only exists for Mac

I am converting them to make a 2,5 GB file 150 MB or a 1,5 GB file 75 MB or so depending on the video.
My PC has a lot of quad cores waiting to do encoding and rendering jobs so that is fine.

When you are storing thousands of clips size definately matters… :wink:
Makes backups easier and much faster too.

Thanks for all the comments. I think we have some good ideas about how to make good filenames.

One other point for @miltloos for your use case, it is important to remember that when exporting from the playlist, it won’t just convert the codecs and container. It will also convert all the video and audio to match the configured video mode. So if your video mode is 720p, but your files contain a mix of 720, 1080 and 4k, all the output files will be 720p. The same goes for the framerate. I want to make sure you are aware in case this does not meet your use case.

Downloaded Mpeg streamclip and the demanded QuickTime Alternative 1.81.
Added just 12 videos to the batchlist and pressed GO!
Full of anticipation only to see the programm crash after 3 seconds not even finishing a single export…
Still looking for a solution to this…

By the way I tried to add 309 MOV video files in one go in Shotcut and it gave quite some errors.
Will try again in batches of 100 MOV files now. Let see if that works.

Hi Brian, thanks for the info. I use 1080 lowest and that is the minimum size that I need as well. I check the output quality and size before I delete the original files always.

Just removed handbrake, Quicktime replacement and Mpeg streamclip from my PC.
That is why I would really prefer to do it with Shotcut also because so far it is the only one stable enought.

On a good day I need to do 800 conversion or so… It’s quite a lot.
My Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 can do the job though…
I tried to add 309 MOV clips at once but Shotcut gave an error.
Now I just converted a batch of 100 and that went fine.
34,4Gb to 848 MB in just 16 minutes.
Will do the filename copy past job now…
Thanks and I will wait for more info about the possible adaption of the software.
Would be most helpfull.

Nice.

This discussion has been good and full of helpful ideas. The other thing I have been wondering is if we should add a separate batch conversion tool in Shotcut. That might be a better fit for your use case - but more work.

Hi Brian, all that is needed is a checkbox that can be selected to keep original filenames for the output.
Basically the same way that VLC does it. VLC is unreliable and gives many errors or bad quality output.
At the moment it even stopped working on my PC.

Well I am renaming a list of a hundred and this is an example of the filelist that I have:

list shotcut

No wonder I get lost and forget one then I rename them all wrong and have to start all over again…
Any fast implementation would be greatly appreciated because it costs me hours a day and really drains my energy to be honest…

Hi @miltloos - Are you on Windows? Did you know about the file renaming feature? If not, here’s how it works:
Select all files in a folder (I’ll assume they are Mp4s).
Hover over the top file.
Right-click, select “rename” from the menu.
Type in, say “Movie”. Press Return.
All files will be renamed as follows:
Movie (1).mp4
Movie (2).mp4
Movie (3).mp4
Movie (4).mp4 - etc…

Apologies if you already know this or you’ve mentioned it already (I didn’t get time to read all this thread).

Hi Jonray,

I need to do it the other way. like this:

I have to copy and paste the filenames by hand now just did 309 files not so great for the mouse hand and Ctrl+c and Ctrl+V key hand… :frowning:
Any suggestions how to do this automatically is greatly appreciated.

Ah, OK I see. The only other way I thought of is to use an Auto Hotkey script. At the very least you could make the Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V commands easier by assigning to say numberpad 1 and 2 - easier on the wrist!