Effect zoom in/zoom out

Is it possible to get the zoom in / zoom out effect more or less like in the video below in connection with keyframes support? I know that earlier lack of keyframes was a problem, and how is it now when service has been added?

Youtube Example

It’s a bit better now, in that you can actually animate a zoom.

However, key frames in the current version (18.07.02) are only available for scaling in the Rotate and Scale filter, which has its scale parameter limited to 200%. To go higher, you would either have to edit the XML (presuming that works), or stack multiple Rtate and Zoom effects.

The zoom motion blur effect demonstrated is not available directly in Shotcut.

You can also use the Size and Position filter with the fill or distort parameter for zooming.

Could you show an example of doing such a Shotcut effect?

Unfortunately. It’s not exactly what I mean. That’s how I can use keyframes.

Then I don’t understand what you are wanting.

You can’t do any animated zooming or panning without keyframes… End of story.

I mean exactly the effect that I showed on the YT movie, a very fast zoom transition from one scene to another, in the example that was shown to me everything happens slowly and the effect looks completely different.

That exact process is done with Adobe Premiere Pro and with that exact transition you download from the link in the description. It appears to be a custom filter/transition specifically designed for Adobe. Adobe anything and Shotcut are two different programs that operate differently.

I understand that these are two different programs, I was just looking for a similar effect but keeping the similarities like the dynamics and general outline of the filter.
The examples given in the subject differ entirely from this, they are just completely different.

I’m sure you could cobble together a similar looking result using small sliced sections of the preceding clip and the next clip, a combination of size&position with clip speed and keyframes perhaps [I don’t know as I haven’t tried or have plans to] but honestly you are trying to compare an expensive commercial leading NLE with a free opensource one.
Shotcut is not an Adobe competitor.

The very basis of the effect is really not that involved. As I mentioned, you can use the new(ish) keyframes feature in the Rotate and Scale filter to get you most of the way there (the 200% is a bit limiting);

https://streamable.com/onzb9 - crash zoom - no zoom

To:
https://streamable.com/avwhv - crash zoom - zoom only

Only took setting up the filter with the key frames as appropriate. Specifically, find the last frame of interest, go back a quarter second (or however long), add the filter, enable key frames on the parameters you will be using - this will automatically add their default values in the key frames timeline - then go to the last frame of interest and adjust the values.
The same applies to the second clip being cut to.

Half the visual of the effect comes from the added zoom blur, though…
https://streamable.com/9otpt - crash zoom - zoom and blur

…and that’s not something you can add in Shotcut at this time. I added it half-ish by taking the last/first frame of the clips of interest respectively, applying a Zoom blur in a graphics editor, then putting those on a second track with the same Rotate and Scale filter applied and using a Fade In / Fade Out.

This is not, and will never be, as smooth as a built-in blur effect that works on each frame. Obviously you could render this out, export to still images, apply the effect in a graphics editor for each frame manually, then import those back in as a new clip… but that quickly defeats the point of using a video editor.

But if the aforementioned - i.e. without the blur or the half-ish blur - is sufficient for your needs, you can certainly get there with Shotcut now.

That said, there’s no overstating what Steve said: Shotcut is not an Adobe competitor.

This effect would in fact be sufficient only as you mentioned, you can not add it directly from Shotcut.
There is waiting, maybe a similar function will be added in the future.
Thank you for your interest.

1 Like